Monday, May 21, 2012

#69 - It Helps To Get Away

Just got back from Hawaii last night.

I spent most of my short time there with members of my large extended family doing what we do best - working together to get ready for a party.  I actually helped my brother and cousin slice the fish and the onions for the poke. And we got to taste test along the way!!  Fresh sashimi and beer!  Yummmmm!

When that was done, I went with my sister-in-law to the banquet facililty and helped her, several aunts and uncles as well as cousins with the room set up and the decorations. Covered the tables with table cloths; placed the party favors at each seat; position the many centerpieces and balloon arrangements; scattered  candy confetti; set up the bar, etc....

I realized that it was as if I never left Hawaii. The relationships were the same - everyone was just as wonderful, loving and accepting as when I was growing up.  It just made me appreciate my strong work and family values even more. Things were just understood.  We are there for each other no matter what.

It has helped me to realize that I need to get back there more often.  I think I may have to move back to this warmer climate and to this simpler lifestyle. There is so much power in living in a family of true acceptance and true love. There is so much warmth in this community My purpose and my meaning of existence became clearer. I need to give back to these wonderful people. One question remains...how do I make this happen?




2 comments:

  1. I have an invitation to spend some time in a Malaysian long house (one of the people I spent a month with in Boston). If you are game I am. The people accept visitors as family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That sounds like a really cool thing to do. Let's see if we can make that happen.

      Delete