Last week I got a call from one of my aunts in Hawaii. She said that if I could that I should watch the Floating Lanterns Hawaii ceremony this evening - Memorial Day. It was going to be streamed and that I could watch it on my computer here in San Francisco. She said that she thought of me because of my recent loss of my friend Gary....but really...I was more concerned about her. She lost her daughter to suicide and her mother was dying of cancer.
Each Memorial Day at sunset, at Magic Island - Ala Moana Beach Park, more than
40,000 Honolulu residents and visitors gather along the shore to remember
loved ones who have passed away. It is Honolulu's version of Toro Nagashi, a Japanese tradition, translating literally as "lantern offerings on water". At twilight, more than 2,000 candlelit paper lanterns are released and set adrift into the
calm waters of the sheltered beach. Each floating lantern carries the name of
loved ones, with messages of comfort for their spiritual journey. It is one of Hawaii's most visually and spiritually breathtaking events.
The
Toro Nagashi ceremony was founded by the Shinnyo-en Buddhist order in 1952. In
Japan, it is traditionally held in July and August, coinciding with the end of
Obon festival season. Hawaii’s Shinnyo-en order has always held the ceremony on
Memorial Day—to honor lives lost in war.
At 9:15 pm this evening PST, I logged on and was blown away. I did not expect to see an amazingly beautiful blend of cultures participating in this ceremony. The Brothers Cazimero and the haunting chants of the kumus made my skin crawl. The Hawaiians were blessing the ocean and the air and the land with their chants and hulas. The sounds of the taiko drums and the flutes transported me to a peaceful place in my heart. The rituals performed by the pastors and ministers as well as many other church communities were so beautiful. The lighting of the harmony light was so deep...so powerful...as they prayed for unity among all.
And then the thousands of lanterns were released by the local people - all shapes, colors and sizes. It was just so beautiful and powerful to see. Everyone honoring the memories of their loved ones...all participating in one culture's tradition...a beautiful harmony....the same message...the same tune....many rivers, one ocean.
No comments:
Post a Comment