Sunday, July 1, 2012

#76 - Waiting for the Endless Series of Lights to Change . . . and the Streetcar to Pass.

We are going through some major reorganizing (solely based on politics) at work to the extent that I don't know if San Francisco will continue to have an office. When I'm busy I don't speculate.  It is only while I'm waiting that I start to dwell ...

While waiting at the stoplight on the intersection of  Sloat,  Junipero Serra, West Portal, St Francis Wood (and probably 5 other streets I can't decipher from the mayhem) I realized that my situation is a metaphor for life.

Most intersections, like life's setbacks, are small.  Take Taravel & Sunset, I know the other person also has to move so I'm willing put my life on hold as I watch the other driver speed on to his destination.  I see the light at the end of the pole, and soon I'm moving on to my destination.

An intersection with multitudinous streets is different.  I wait for one light patiently.  Then I realize (and I re-notice every time) they threw in a left-turn light and those people are now moving.  Two rounds later I realize that ALL of these people around me are going to move on with their lives while I have to just sit and watch, waiting, thinking;

"Did I miss my light?"
 "I took the wrong road!"
"Why do they get to go forward before me?"
"Whoever engineered this intersection is out to smash my dreams!"  (Oops, I meant make me late)   "Who does that yellow light gunner think he is bending the rules while I have to sit here and obey?!!"
"Why didn't I "gun it" when I had the chance?"

It sucks to be stuck!

Yet, if I simply reach out, I have options.  I can crank up some tunes and relax, improve my knowledge by turning to NPR, or I can spin the dial and discover something new I never had time to listen to before.   The selection may not be great, but I've already eaten the entire bag of chips sitting at the top of the grocery bag in the back seat.  I going to wait regardless, so I might as well do something with my time.


Nurturing  loved-ones goals; balancing family with work; and "doing the right thing" anywhere can make one feel like the lights are turning green for everyone else but you.   


In my real life, the light isn't changing for a long time .  . . it is time to reach for the dial.  

1 comment: