To start the process, I called my SFPD friend and got the name of the park ranger who had discovered Gary's abandoned car at the Point Reyes Lighthouse. The park ranger, who also happened to be the lead investigator on the case, and I made arrangements to meet on Tuesday, February 21, 2012. He kindly agreed to walk me through the events of that July 2009 day, to share the findings of his investigation into Gary's disappearance, and to allow me to say goodbye to my friend.
On Monday, February 20, 2012, I realized that I needed to get a haku lei and some Hawaiian flowers so I called Isha - a Hawaiian florist in San Francisco. I told her what I was planning on doing and she knew exactly what I needed.
After I made the call, I went to take a nap. When I awoke, I found a bag of Hawaiian cds on the kitchen counter. A friend had dropped them off while I was asleep. The cds were of the same contemporary Hawaiian genre that Gary and I loved!! Coincidence? I saw this as a sign that this journey was meant to happen this way.
When I went to pick up the flowers the next morning, Isha was still working on the lei....gracefully weaving in the orchids, the ti leaves, the baby's breath, the raffia, more orchids, more ti leaves, more baby's breath, more raffia..... This forced me to hang out for awhile....real Hawaiian style... "talking story".... just like in Hawaii. It kind of caught me off guard at first because this was so out of my normal fast-paced San Francisco routine. But it felt natural and so comfortable.
When I got home, because I was already running late, I rushed out of the car ...but my chatty neighbor cornered me. I tried scooting away but he kept talking. Suddenly I heard a THUD! in the garage. Something had fallen. I didn't look to see what it was. I just knew in my heart that Gary had caused something to happen because that's when my neighbor said, "You'd better go." When I turned, I saw that a mop had fallen over. But how? It had been leaning securely against the wall. There was no one physically there to push it over or the wind or a draft or anything to cause it to fall. Coincidence? Rich attributes the fall to the vibration of the garage door opening. (He is entitled to believe what he wants to believe.)
Embarking on the long drive to Point Reyes, I popped in one of the cds left on the counter. As the old familiar tunes began to play, I got ready for the deluge of tears . Instead, a strong feeling came over me that said "No, we are not crying! This is about cruising, blasting the C & K music...and hanging out just like how we used to hang out!" So I turned up the music and pushed forward. Somehow I knew that my dear friend was on the drive with me.
Upon entering the Golden Gate Park, I felt a need to do a little detour...like a special procession. I found myself driving to the old neighborhood where Gary and I used to live - the outer Richmond. I stopped to get a coffee at the Zephyr Cafe, his first place of employment in San Francisco. Then I proceeded to do the scenic route out of the City....through Lincoln Park, the Legion of Honor, past that fantastic view of the Golden Gate Bridge above Land's End, past Baker Beach - where he and I once ventured to the nudists' section of the beach pretending to toss a frisbee which we were both so inept with handling - and on to 101 North. It was a very scenic, nostalgic, and peaceful drive.
After an hour and a half of driving, I finally arrived at Point Reyes, parked in the lot of the Golden Gate Park Services headquarters, and walked in. I was greeted by a very friendly volunteer who kindly called the park ranger I was expected to meet. While waiting, I walked over to the gift shop. My eyes caught sight of a spectacular picture - an ariel view of the Point Reyes Lighthouse. When the park ranger arrived I brought him over to that picture and asked him to show me where everything happened so that I could physically put things in perspective. He first pointed to the area where Gary jumped over to get down to the old path that led to a landing which was the site of the old light house. He then showed me the path the rescue dogs took and the path that he and his supervisor followed down to the edge of the cliff. With that perspective in mind, he showed me another map of the general area and told me that I was then going to follow him in my car for twenty miles out to the Lighthouse.
When I walked to my car, I pushed the button on my keys to unlock the doors. Nothing happened....no click, no light...the locks did not move I tried it again. Still dead. And then it hit me that Gary was probably being Gary.
"Gary, stop it! Stop fooling around! This isn't funny. The park ranger is waiting for me!!"
As soon as I said that, the locks popped up!
The twenty-mile drive out to the Lighthouse was long and winding...but it was through beautiful and serene countryside. Lots of cows, barns, grass, fences, horses, pastures, more cows ... I kept thinking...why would Gary drive all the way out here to end his life?
We eventually arrived at the parking lot of the famous Point Reyes Lighthouse.
The park ranger walked me over to the very first parking stall in the lot... paused ... and said ...
"This is where the story begins..."
No comments:
Post a Comment