I can't think of anything to write at the moment so I'm going to share a column I have written. It is not my best, but it was the only one I can find at the moment.
btw. . .I've finished week 1 book, Incidents in the life of a slave girl, and I'm moving on to week 2 book, The Body Departed.
Here’s the Story of a Lovely Lady. . . from Generation Jones
'Thanks to an on-line poster I just discovered that I am a member of Generation Jones. Social commentator Jonathan Pontell coined the term for the generation born in the optimistic 60’s with baby boom expectations. . . that came of age in the pessimistic ‘70s. We were named "Jones" because we are jonesing (“keep up with the Jones” kind of craving) for all the benefits our baby boomer brothers and sisters received.
If you peruse the internet you’ll find that Generation Jones is largely defined by what we don’t have. We are the generation that would have no baby pictures if it weren’t for those taken with our boomer siblings . . . improperly holding us with our heads dangerously dangling. We knew that “duck and cover” wouldn’t save us long before we discovered that there is no Santa. Our bedrooms . . . if we got one of our own . . . were eclectic mixes of cowboy and princess themed castoffs determined by the genders that came before us.
I was even brought to school as my sister’s “show and tell” item.
However, with all that we’ve supposedly missed, we are still a blessed generation. Yes, Generation Jones owns one thing to which no generation before or after can lay claim . . . the sitcom theme song. The most the Baby Boom Generation could expect was to whistle along with Opie goin’ fishin’ in The Andy Griffith Show.
Yes, Gen-Xr’s may have squeaked in with The Facts of Life and Family Ties. But I’ll bet my Kitty Karry-all doll that they can only remember the words to the chorus.
When Musak took over our elevators, the sitcom theme song followed suit.
Generation Jones grew up to the catchy tunes of The Brady Bunch, Gilligan’s Island, and Green Acres just to name a few. Everything you needed to know about the show was summed up in those minute ditties. We memorized them all.
My generation was so devoted to our sitcom themes songs that Cindy Brady was forced to wear those goofy braids with the twist at the end just so she could remain, “the youngest one in curls.”
I’d say that more of us could remember The Brady Bunch song than the preamble to the Constitution of the United States . . . if it weren’t for School House Rock. In fact, I can’t recite the preamble without singing the jingle in my head.
We Jonesers have our sitcom songs embedded in our brains. Once you get us started we can fill up a lunch hour belting out one tune after another. When our voices are sore we whisper, “Space . . . the Final Frontier.”
(For those of you calculating right now . . . no one bothered to watch Star Trek till it went into syndication.)
Our waistlines have expanded and our hairlines have receded. Yet, we from Generation Jones can step back in time to our youth before we’ve hummed the second note of The Partridge Family theme song.
So, to all you Jonesers out there, “Cm’on get happyyyyy!”
To everyone else, “We’ll make you happyyy-e-e!”'
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love being a Generation Jones-er!
Those books sound really interesting!!! Worth reading?
Slave girl yes. Havent' started the second.
ReplyDelete