Sunday, January 29, 2012

Release Your Attachments

My friend and I went to Bikram Yoga yesterday and today after a loooooong break.  Our goal was to make it through the class which can get very hot.

My friend survived by frequently pouring water on her head, until the teacher called her on it.  Not, because she should not have taken breaks, but because the water had become an attachment that took her focus from being in the moment with her yoga practice.

She called all of us to release our attachments that prevented us from being in the moment.  

I gave up the attachment of comparison.  I was comparing my performance to everyone else in the room. . .with every pose putting myself in a rank against all others in the room, rather than concentrating on the pose.   I no longer cared that I don't have the greatest body, but in my pose focused on muscles I have managed to maintain.  With time, the picture will get even  better.

After class my friend and I talked about that moment.  She said at first she was embarrassed, but then quickly realize the teacher was correct, and it was freeing.

I'm up for a big promotion and I've been stressing out over how I'm going to manage some situations.  However, I  know I won't be able to fix them in yoga class so I need to release that attachment to "doing well," being the "fixer."  Consciously dropping that attachment allowed me to refuel my brain.

What attachment do you have to release to simply BE in the moment?

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Bonnie!

    My Wednesday meditation group is led by a coworker who does an incredible job with teaching us how to BE while BEING in the moment. Essentially it is all about staying focused on the task at hand while being conscious of everything else going on around us.

    What attachment do I need to release to simply BE in the moment? I think it would be my need to do everything on my "to do" list. That list just never seems to end; and some items have been on there for years!!!

    ReplyDelete