Friday, January 6, 2012

Guiding Principles

I've always envied people whose guiding principles come from great philosophers or classic works for literature (Bible included).  In conversations it sounds so eloquent to quote Marcus Aurelius.  Till now, my great motivations came from the billboard on Turk and Larkin, Little Bear and Kung Fu Panda.   Perfect conversation stoppers for those who pride in "deep" thinking.


In deference to my furry friends the writers must have studied the masters, because they came up with amazing wisdom in a context geared for children.


In the episode "Little Bear's Bad Day"  all sorts of bad things were happening to him.  When he came to the pond and frog greeted him, "Good Day" he responded, "there is nothing good about it!"  In  his response frog made a statement that on the surface is so simple, but in analysis  so complex.


Frog stated, "A day is a day, it is neither good nor bad."  In that split second I vowed to do my best to take back my moments of time.   Mentally, I'm in control of how to interpret events and I was no longer going to be a hoarder of bad thoughts that would eventually pile up and bury me.


The mouse in Kung Fu Panda furthered this concept of control when he told Panda after a huge disappointment that "everything is meant to be."  Now, I don't look back at what should or could have been.  Where I'm at now "is," and I need to look forward if I want to change it.


And while I cherish the inspiration, I'm glad to say that my latest mantra is, "this too shall pass."  Note, it is not from the Bible and it is larger than an inspirational quote to get through bad times.


Here's the story:



According to an old sufi story, there was once a king in the middle east, who was constantly torn between happiness and despair. The slightest thing would provoke a strong reaction in him, and when he felt happiness, it would swiftly turn into disappointment or hopelessness.
The king eventually became so tired of himself, and his life, that he decided to face his problems and call for help. He was notified of a wise man in his kingdom, that was said to be enlightened. The king pleaded for his help, and when the wise man came to see the king, the king told him: “I want to be as you are. I want balance and clarity in my life – And i will pay you any price you demand for that insight”.
The wise man responded: “I might be able to help you, but this insight is so valuable, that the entirety of your kingdom will not be enough to pay for it. That’s why i will give it to you as a gift, if you will honor it”. The king promised he would, and the wise man went on his way.
Weeks later the wise man came to the king again. This time bringing a jade shrine. The shrine contained a golden ring with arab letters inscribed on it. The letters said: “This too shall pass”.


“What is the meaning of this?” the king asked as he stood baffled. 


The wise man told him to always carry this ring on him, and to always look at it before he judged anything again. Good or bad. “Do this and peace will be with you always” the wise man said.
 Namaste

1 comment:

  1. In the zone, Bonnie, you're in the zone! Love it! I wonder what the saying looks like in Arabic.

    ReplyDelete